Thursday, January 24, 2013

Learning to be humble

2012 was a difficult year for my marriage.  Thankfully, God has given me a loving special husband.  He was willing to fight my apathy and indifference.  We had found a Christian counselor who was working for each of us separately so that we could bring our best selves to the marriage.  One of the things that I determined was that I had never learned in 40+ years that it was ok to have a voice.  I never learned how to tell my husband when he had upset me or if I disagreed with him.  Part of this was because my parents had divorced when I was very young so I did not see two adults working things out in a reasonable manner.  The other part was an incorrect understanding of scripture that a man should be the head and his word was final.  I had to understand that God did not want me to live in a dictatorship.  What He wanted was for two people to work in harmony.  You can't live in harmony if you don't tell the other person what is in your head and heart.  You can't meet expectations if you don't know what they are.  Having a different opinion or vision is ok.

My hope is that 2013 I will grow stronger in know who I am and WHOSE I am.  I want to be a better wife, mother, employee...

No comments:

Post a Comment